What is it?
UNCG’s current work and collaboration tools include Google Workspace (Gmail, Docs, Sheets, etc.), Box, Zoom, and network file storage. Microsoft 365 will replace these tools with the traditional MS Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, etc), Teams, and OneNote.
Why are we doing it?
The University currently has multiple email, chat, and video conferencing platforms that work the same or similarly. At one time, many of these tools were provided for free. The days of free services have ended. Additionally, services and applications are getting more complex, requiring more training for campus users and IT staff. Streamlining these services will…
- make user support and onboarding new users easier
- cost less
- make everyone’s experience the same
- improve data security
How will I be impacted?
Although this migration will be disruptive, you will learn how to use new, dynamic tools that will make working, communicating, and collaborating better and easier.
When will this be implemented?
Over the course of Summer and Fall 2023. For the specific dates, see the milestone timeline.
What do I need to do?
Right now, the best thing you can do is start organizing your files in Box, Google Drive, and on all of your devices. ITS is coordinating comprehensive training. Follow ITS News for announcements on how and when training will take place.
Related ITS News
- UNCG’s Zoom service ends on December 31, 2023. This includes the Canvas Zoom integration, the use of UNCG credentials in the free version of Zoom, and the end of ITS support for Zoom. In Spring 2024, all courses will be […]
- Update: ITS is aware of problems encountered while trying to use the New Teams app. We are actively investigating this issue, and will provide updates as soon as more information is available. Microsoft Teams has introduced its latest app for […]
- Canvas has several new, exciting features available this semester! OneDrive Integration With OneDrive integrated into your Canvas course, you can easily share files with students, collaborate on shared documents, provide assignment templates, and connect students to their own OneDrive for […]
- Information Technology Services (ITS) is working towards an end-of-the-year conclusion of UNCG’s Microsoft 365 (M365) adoption. We are sharing this plan with you now to provide time for you to prepare. You will receive more details as we move through each […]
- On Friday, July 7, 2023, all UNCG Student email and calendaring accounts will move from Gmail to Outlook as part of the Microsoft 365 adoption. The long wait for everyone at UNCG to be in the same email and calendaring […]
Major Milestones & Events
Assessment of environment readiness and planning
Faculty Panel Discussion – Teaching in Teams
An interactive panel discussion featuring faculty members from universities across the country. View the recording.
Microsoft 365 Town Hall
A discussion about the results of the Microsoft 365 Survey. View the recording.
Faculty and Staff Email Migration from Google to MS Outlook
On-site support for Faculty and Staff
Student Migration of email from Google to MS Outlook
See ITS News for more
Inactive data will be deleted from Google
Identify and copy files owned by expired accounts by September 30 to continue working with them.
Data Migration Milestones
• Deadline for research data preparation using ORE’s guidance
• Shared drive and secondary account data surveys complete
• Data storage cleanup complete
• Google Photos disabled for all users
• Google quota enforcement starts
Deadline for data storage cleanup
Student, Faculty, and Staff data begins to copy to transfer folders on OneDrive
Copying begins on November 27, but you can keep working on your files in Google and Box until December 22. A process toward the end will sync the changes you make.
Student, Faculty and Staff final phase of data migration starts
After this point, new files and folders or changes made in Google and Box will not migrate.
All emails in Google will be deleted and the service disabled
Data migration complete
Look for the completion notice email.
Zoom fully de-commissioned
Get ready to Teach with Teams.
SEND US YOUR QUESTIONS
Help us make the FAQs better, more informative.
Subscribe to ITS News.